2017- 2018 Boy Scout Merit Badge Program Schedule
- Payment: Payment is due at the time of registration. Your registration is not confirmed until payment is received. You can pay via credit card online or call 815-965-8146 and ask for Carrie. You may also register in person at the Klehm Visitor Center.
- Parents/Scout leaders: Parents or scout leaders are not required to stay for the merit badge session. Scout leaders receive free admission with registered scouts. Parents and siblings may stay and take a self-guided tour of the Arboretum and would be required to pay the admission fee. There is a special reduced admission fee of $3 for any parent or sibling, with a paid scout registration.
- Cancellations: Klehm Arboretum reserves the right to limit enrollment and cancel any program, in which case a full refund will be issued. Klehm Arboretum will not issue refunds in the event that you have to cancel. With 7-day advance notice, you may be able to apply the payment to a future merit badge session or transfer it to another scout.
- Counselors: All programs are led by BSA approved Merit Badge Counselors.
- Programs: Scouts are responsible for completing all prerequisites. The prerequisites are listed for each merit badge. If scouts do not complete the prerequisites, they will be given a partial merit badge completion form. Scouts that complete the prerequisites after the session, can provide proof of completion and the partial merit badge form or blue card will be signed by the Klehm merit badge counselor.
- Badges, Pins, and Blue Cards are not provided. (No service fees will be charged on PayPal payment.)
Date TBD | 9 am- 1 pm | Clarcor Pavilion | $10 In this program, scouts will explore the complexity of a forest while identifying tree/plant species and their contribution to the environment. They will also discover some of the resources forests provide to humans and come to understand that people have a very large part to play in sustaining the health of forests. Prerequisite: Requirement 8. Bring a snack. Class limit is 20 scouts.
Date TBD | 9am- 12pm | Visitor Center | $15 Take your nature experience one step further in this program. Scouts will hike the Klehm grounds and identify various birds, mammals, plants, and rocks. They will also make casts of animal footprints. Scouts will get the chance to build their own bird feeder. Prerequisites: Requirements 4a2Bird or 4e1Fish. Class limit is 20 scouts.
Date TBD | 9 am- 1 pm | Visitor Center | $15 It’s a large-scale game of hide and seek! In this program, Scouts will use a GPS unit and map and compass to find caches hidden around Klehm. As scouts earn this merit badge, they will learn the basic terms, etiquette, and safety precautions while geocaching in addition to finding and hiding their own cache. Map reading knowledge required. Bring a snack. Class limit is 10 scouts. Download a geocaching app before the class. (Download from Geocaching.com or cgeo.org).
Date TBD | 9 am- 1 pm | Visitor Center | $10 Scouts will become meteorologists in this program as they study Earth’s atmosphere, weather, and phenomena. They will learn about hazardous weather, how it is predicted, and how to stay safe in dangerous conditions. In addition, Scouts will make their own rain gauge to study local rainfall. All requirements will be completed. Bring a snack. Class limit is 20.
Date TBD | 8 am- 1 pm | Visitor Center | $15 While earning the Environmental Science merit badge, Scouts will get a taste of what it is like to be an environmental scientist. They will learn about pressing environmental concerns, make observations, and complete experiments to investigate how to solve these problems. Prerequisites: Requirements 3c3 and 3f1 or 3f2. Bring a snack or lunch. Class limit is 15.
Date TBD | 9 am- 1 pm | Visitor Center | $10 During this fun program, Scouts will learn about the different aspects and approaches in landscape architecture. Scouts will apply this new knowledge when studying and designing their own landscape. Prerequisite: Requirement 5. Bring a snack. Class limit is 15.
Date TBD | 8 am- 1 pm | Visitor Center | $15 Scouts will become master gardeners and horticulturalists, in this program. They will learn about the parts of a plant, the process of photosynthesis, discover various plants growing at Klehm, and much more. Prerequisites: Requirements 7, 8: Horticulture Option E1a and E1b. Bring a snack or lunch. Class limit is 15.
Date TBD | 9 am- 1 pm | Clarcor Pavilion | $15 Fly-fishing is a specialized form of fishing that combines skill and artistry. Scouts will gain an understanding of fly fishing hazards, equipment, and fishing regulations. Then they will complete hands-on activities while learning how to tie proper knots, match rods, lines, and leaders, and cast a fly over 30 feet. Limited Fly Fishing equipment will be available for use. Prerequisites: Requirement 10.
Please include the information below with your Paypal payment.
Scout Troop #:
How did you hear about us?