2018- 2019 Boy Scout Merit Badge Program Schedule
- Payment: Payment is due at the time of registration. Your registration is not confirmed until payment is received. You can pay via credit card online or call 815-965-8146. You may also register in person at the Klehm Visitor Center.
- Parents/Scout leaders: Parents or scout leaders are not required to stay for the merit badge session. Scout leaders receive free admission with registered scouts. Parents and siblings may stay and take a self-guided tour of the Arboretum and would be required to pay the admission fee. There is a special reduced admission fee of $3 for any parent or sibling, with a paid scout registration.
- Cancellations: Klehm Arboretum reserves the right to limit enrollment and cancel any program, in which case a full refund will be issued. Klehm Arboretum will not issue refunds in the event that you have to cancel. With 7-day advance notice, you may be able to apply the payment to a future merit badge session or transfer it to another scout.
- Counselors: All programs are led by BSA approved Merit Badge Counselors.
- Programs: Scouts are responsible for completing all prerequisites. The prerequisites are listed for each merit badge. If scouts do not complete the prerequisites, they will be given a partial merit badge completion form. Scouts that complete the prerequisites after the session, can provide proof of completion and the partial merit badge form or blue card will be signed by the Klehm merit badge counselor.
- Badges, Pins, and Blue Cards are not provided. (No service fees will be charged on PayPal payment.)
February 16th, 2019 | 9 am- 12 pm | Visitor Center | $15
Take your nature experience one step further in this program. Scouts will hike the Klehm grounds and identify various birds, mammals, plants, and rocks. They will also make casts of animal footprints. Scouts will get the chance to build their own bird feeder. Prerequisites: Requirements 4a2Bird or 4e1Fish. Class limit is 20 scouts.
March 16th, 2019 | 9 am- 12 pm | Clarcor Pavilion | $15
Scouts will become master gardeners and horticulturalists in this program. They will learn about the parts of a plant, the process of photosynthesis, discover various plants growing at Klehm, and much more. Bring a snack or lunch. Class limit is 15. Scouts will be provided with five (5) bare root trees or shrubs to take home after class to be planted in a landscape setting and cared for until the end of the growing season (Oct. 2019). At that time Scouts will submit documentation (via mail or email) to Klehm in order to complete all requirements.
April 20th, 2019 | 9 am- 12 pm | Clarcor Pavilion | $15
Scouts will become adept gardeners through this program and will utilize Klehm’s greenhouse to start their own vegetables and flowers. After learning more about gardening skills and pests in a classroom setting, scouts will then build their own compost bin to take home and maintain. After program completion, Scouts will submit documentation (via mail or email) to Klehm in order to complete all requirements. Class limit is 15.
After registering, a Klehm representative will call you for the information below:
Scout Troop #:
How did you hear about us?