Klehm Arboretum and Botanic Garden is currently seeking an Education and Programming Coordinator.
Applicants are to submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] prior to 5:00 PM on March 8th, 2019.
Job Title: Education and Programming Coordinator
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Full-time
Prepared Date: February 8, 2019
Projected Start Date: March 18, 2019
The Education and Programming Coordinator is responsible for developing, implementing and delivering educational content relevant and consistent with Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden’s overall mission: “To maintain a living museum for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of all people”. Delivery of content will occur through a variety of methods, including instructing classes, leading tours and hosting programs. This position will also perform community outreach and is responsible for volunteer recruitment, retention, recognition and communication.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Education and Programming
- Develop, implement and deliver a variety of educational programs, classes and tours directly related to horticulture, arboriculture, botany and natural resources, serving both youth and adult audiences and utilizing the full spectrum of resources provided by the arboretum grounds and facilities.
- Regularly display and communicate a proficient knowledge of trees, plants, botany, horticulture, forests and the arboretum itself to visitors and guests
- Work in both indoor and outdoor settings throughout all seasons to deliver content to audiences of various sizes and demographics.
- Identify, schedule and coordinate relevant and appropriate third-party programming to be hosted at Klehm facilities.
- Assist with the preparation, set-up, takedown and post-program cleaning of classrooms and other utilized spaces
- Work closely with area and regional schools, clubs and youth organizations to foster use of Klehm facilities and attendance at programs, classes and tours
- Perform year-round community outreach through a variety of means, and host/attend offsite activities as identified and appropriate.
- Work closely with Executive Director to ensure that program offerings are consistent with overall strategic goals and organizational mission.
- Work closely with Marketing and Administrative Assistant to promote scheduled programs, classes and tours before and after each has occurred.
- Provide support for arboretum events, programs and fundraisers as directed
- Produce post-program evaluations and reports to refine program offerings
- Provide staff support and perform general administrative duties as necessary
- Works and communicate clearly and effectively with other departments as necessary to achieve the strategic goals
- Other duties as assigned
- Identify and recruit potential individual volunteers and volunteer groups for support of Klehm events, and work closely with Director of Horticulture to match volunteers with appropriate activities that support overall grounds operations.
- Communicate regularly in-person, over the phone and via email with volunteers
- Plan, schedule and carry out volunteer appreciation and recognition activities
- Maintain volunteer database and track volunteer activity data
- Works with the Executive Director to develop short and long term strategic planning to support the overall goals of the organization
- Supports office staff with general office tasks as needed
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully this person must have good interpersonal skills with the ability to work and communicate with a variety of people and personalities at all levels. Must be able to work independently to organize tasks and meet deadlines. Must possess good problem-solving skills and a high degree of adaptability. Confidence in teaching content, speaking publicly and fielding questions is necessary. The ability to embrace a team atmosphere is essential. Candidate must successfully pass a background check.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, horticulture, environmental science or other directly related field required. Prior experience in youth education required. Professional certifications which support proficiency in outdoor learning desired. Prior experience with recruiting and organizing volunteers strongly desired. Previous office or customer service experience helpful. Individual must have demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft Office products, particularly Powerpoint. Willingness to pursue continuing education and appropriate/applicable certifications while employed by Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden strongly desired.
Strong written and verbal skills are essential to this position. Writing, editing, and proof-reading with a high level of accuracy is a large part of the job. Attention to detail and strong organization skills desired. Adaptability to new situations, quick thinking and problem solving highly desirable. Candidate needs proficient MS Office Suite skills, particularly in Excel and Word. Candidate needs the ability to quickly learn and work with databases, publishing applications and new software. Candidate should be acquainted with standard office technology.
Must be physically agile. Must be able to speak and hear.
To perform this job successfully individual must be detailed, task oriented and able to work independently. This position involves working occasional nights and/or weekends and working in outdoor and indoor environments. Working one weekend day per week is expected. Must have reliable transportation.