FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Are face coverings required?
Face coverings/masks are required in the Visitors Center and restrooms for anyone above the age of 2 who are medically able to do so, regardless of vaccination status. Face coverings/masks are not required while outdoors.
What are your hours?
Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden’s hours vary by season.
- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday: Grounds & Visitors Center open daily, 9 am – 4 pm (time of last entry is 3:30 pm.)
- Wednesdays & Saturdays: Grounds & Visitors Center open 9 am – 8 pm (time of last entry is 7:30 pm.)
- PLEASE NOTE: The Nancy Olson Children’s Garden & water features close daily 30 minutes prior to grounds closing.
- Spring & Fall: Grounds & Visitors Center open daily, 9 am – 4 pm (time of last entry is 3:30 pm.)
- Winter (November – February): Grounds & Visitors Center open Monday through Saturday, 9 am – 4 pm (time of last entry is 3:30 pm.) Klehm is closed on Sundays.
When do the splash pad and Kid's Creek close?
The Nancy Olson Children’s Garden & water features close daily 30 minutes prior to grounds closing. These features run from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Please see below for daily hours.
- Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday: 9 am – 3:30 pm
- Wednesdays & Saturdays: 9 am – 7:30 pm
Is there a cost to visit Klehm?
Yes*. Klehm charges the public daily admission to experience our 155 acres of grounds and gardens. Admission prices are listed below.
- $8 per adult (age 18 – 61)
- $5 per senior adult (age 62+)
- $5 per child (age 3 – 17)
- Free for children age 0 – 2
*Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden is a part of the Museums For All program, an initiative which allows any individual or family that receives SNAP benefits (such as EBT or WIC) to visit Klehm at no charge by showing their card upon entry. To learn more, click here.
**There is no daily admission fee for Klehm members.
What does admission include?
Where do I pay admission?
- May through August: pay at the Gatehouse*
- September through April: pay at the Main Visitor’s Center (located at the top of the hill.)
*If the Gatehouse is not staffed, please proceed to the Main Visitor’s Center to pay your admission.
Does Klehm offer memberships?
Yes. Klehm memberships are year-long memberships that provide free year-round daily admission to Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden’s grounds, as well as a variety of other benefits. Rates are listed below:
- Individual (1 individual age 18 – 61): $50
- Senior Individual (1 individual age 62+): $40
- Family (2 individuals age 18 – 61 and all children under 18 living in the household): $75
- Senior Family (2 individuals age 62+ and all grandchildren): $60
For more information about Klehm memberships, click here.
Does Klehm accept memberships from other gardens?
It depends. As a member of the American Horticultural Society (AHS), Klehm offers reciprocal admission for over 300 gardens in the United States, including nearby organizations such as Cantigny Park, The Morton Arboretum, Chicago Botanic Garden, and Rotary Botanical Gardens. To receive reciprocal admission, simply present your membership card(s) from another AHS organization. For a comprehensive list of participating Reciprocal Gardens, click here.
Reciprocal admission does not apply to organizations located within Rockford, such as the Nicholas Conservatory and Anderson Japanese Gardens, nor will a Klehm membership apply to admission when visiting them.
Am I allowed to drive Klehm's paved paths?
Are bicycles and scooters allowed?
No. Klehm does not permit bicycles (traditional or motored), scooters (traditional or motored), skateboards, or in-line skates.
Are dogs allowed?
Yes. Dogs must be leashed at all times and Klehm asks that owners pick up after their dogs during their visit. Pet waste bags can be found at the Main Visitor’s Center or at a station located south of the Clarcor Pavilion near the paved path. Pets may not be left in cars during your visit.
What is Arboretum Etiquette?
To keep Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden’s grounds beautiful and healthy for the enjoyment of all, we ask visitors to observe the following etiquette:
- Please refrain from picking leaves, fruits, or seed heads from trees or other plants. (It is permissible to pick up leaves, seeds, or cones that have already fallen to the ground.)
- Stay on paved paths, nature trails, and grass.
- Do not climb trees or hang from branches. Climbing is only permitted on play structures and certain exhibits where noted by signs.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Respect others in your group and other visitors. (Weddings and other private events regularly occur on Klehm grounds.)
Is there a map of Klehm's grounds?
Yes. Paper copies of Klehm’s Trail Guide are distributed at the Gatehouse and the Main Visitor’s Center, and include all 155 acres of paved paths, wooded trails, and gardens. Visitors may also download and print their own copy from the file found here.
Are Klehm's grounds handicapped-accessible?
Yes. All buildings and paved paths are accessible to strollers and wheelchairs. A limited number of non-electric wheelchairs are available at the Main Visitors Center and should be returned after use.
Where are the restrooms?
Am I allowed to bring outside food and drink onto the property?
Picnic tables are located nearby the Clarcor Pavilion, as well as under the Gazebo in the Nancy Olson Children’s Garden. There are also a number of benches throughout the property, and visitors are welcome to bring a blanket and picnic on the grass.
When is the Children's Garden open and running?
What should I bring if my family and I are visiting the Children's Garden?
Do I have to check in at the Main Visitor's Center every time I visit if I am a Klehm member?
Do you have a Gift Shop?
Yes. The Gift Shop can be found in the Main Visitor’s Center and is stocked with Klehm branded merchandise, apparel and souvenirs, along with books, puzzles, field guides and other unique and specialty items. Klehm members receive a 10% discount on all purchases made in Klehm’s Gift Shop. Klehm merchandise may also be purchased through Klehm’s Online Store.