If you have had the pleasure of taking a Tranquility Walk at Klehm with Randy Zimmerman, you’ll know the amazing calming power that spending time in nature can provide. Unfortunately, we have had to put a hold to these guided Tranquility Walks to ensure the safety and health of all, but now more than ever, everyone could benefit from a Tranquility Walk or just spending time outside.
A lot of scientific research has been done to find the benefits and healing powers of nature. Here’s a quick list of just five of the benefits we can receive from nature, whether you’re just in your yard, walking around your neighborhood, or exploring the trails of Klehm.
- Spending time in nature can lower blood pressure, stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Exposure to trees and nature (even if just viewing through a window) can help improve concentration and increase student and worker productivity.
- Exposure to nature can help reduce ADHD symptoms in children, sometimes working more effectively than prescription medications.
- Spending time in nature and soaking in the natural light helps regulate your body’s melatonin production, thus helping you get a good night’s sleep.
- Breathing fresh air can help regulate your serotonin levels which affects your mood, appetite, memory, social behavior, and other processes. Spending time in nature (and on a Tranquility Walk) can have a relaxing affect on the body and promote happiness.
We hope to be able to offer more Tranquility Walks soon, but in the meantime, please use this guide created by Randy Zimmerman to take a Tranquility Walk on your own. Print it out and bring it along for a calming walk at Klehm, or even use it around your neighborhood or any other outdoor space. Enjoy your time outdoors and reap all the healing benefits of nature.