Friday, October 7 – Sunday, October 9
9 AM – 4 PM daily | FREE admission
Klehm Arboretum & Botanic Garden is excited to announce that our annual free fall community event, Autumn at the Arboretum, is back Friday, October 7 through Sunday, October 9! Visitors will have the opportunity to explore our 155 acres with free daily admission, activities and entertainment. Autumn at the Arboretum will offer a self-led Fall Color Smartphone Tour, Smartphone Scavenger Hunt, guest presentation by author and Director of Reiman Gardens, Ed Lyon, Sunday Family Fun Day filled with kids’ activity stations, live music, doggy costume contest, community activity booths and more all for FREE!
Autumn at the Arboretum Volunteers needed 10/9/2022!
In order to have these fun activities for the kids to participate in, we will need the help of volunteers to make this event run smoothly!
Fall Crafts and Kids Activity/Games station shifts available on Sunday, October 9:
- 9:45 am- 12:00 pm
- 12:00 pm – 2:45 pm
If you are interested in helping out with Autumn at the Arboretum, please view the shifts and sign up here: https://signup.com/go/OQJzoTT
Please contact Sam Burbach with any questions at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-420-3885. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Discover the best that autumn has to offer with Klehm’s self-guided smartphone tour! This tour will feature the many points of fall foliage and autumn interest on Klehm’s grounds, but also engages guests with fun interactive trivia and quizzes. To access the tour, simply look for the acorn and maple leaf signs as you explore our trails, scan the QR codes on each sign with your smartphone, and you will be redirected to the tour.
Your kiddos will be sure to have a ton of fun looking for the signs of fall as the whole family explores Klehm’s grounds during Autumn at the Arboretum! To begin your adventure, scan the QR code on the fall themed Scavenger Hunt sign and start searching for clues!
FREE Presentation – Faded Glory: The Autumn Garden
Saturday, October 8 | 9:30 am – 11:00 am | Visitors Center Gallery
- Author and Director of Reiman Gardens, Ed Lyon, will demonstrate plant materials that not only define and create a spectacular fall garden but might extend winter interest as well. If your autumn garden has the drabs, find out how to jazz it up!
- This free program is made possible by the Pauline J. and John R. Cook Lecture Fund of the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois
- Pre-registration is recommended. Learn more here.
Create Your Own Painted Walking Stick (ticketed event)
Saturday, October 8 | 12:00 pm – 4:00 pm | $47/person | Visitors Center Gallery
- Get ready to take a fall hike by creating your very own painted walking stick. Karla Lombardo of ArtbyKarla will guide you through this workshop to paint a one-of-a-kind walking stick and tie on a paracord handle. Each walking stick is 1 ¼” around and 48” tall, and all supplies will be provided.
- Learn more and register here.
Family Fun Day! Sunday, October 9
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Kids’ activity stations and games
- Straw bale maze
- Pizza Fresca Food Truck – wood fired pizza and gelato
- Community Activity Booths
- Nicholas Conservatory
- Discovery Center
- 4H Youth Development
- Winnebago-Boone Agriculture in the Classroom
11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Live music
11:30 am – 12:15 pm
- Hoo Haven Animal Demonstration (Clarcor Pavilion)
12 pm & 1 pm
- Cake Walk (Made possible by Nothing Bundt Cakes!)
- Dog Costume Contest
- Back this year is our popular dog costume contest! This year’s contest will take in the Fountain Garden and will be voted on by the audience.
- First Place is a FREE one-year Klehm Membership.
Contest Entry Requirements: Contestants must be in a costume and leashed.