By Susan Schumacher, Council of Rockford Gardeners – 06/06/2020
Learn how to make Chive Blossom Vinegar from chives growing in your own yard! This resource was originally presented during Garden Fair Weekend 2021 by Susan Schumacher of the Council of Rockford Gardeners. Thank you, Susan, for sharing!
DIY Chive Blossom Vinegar
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup chive blossoms (purple flowers)
- Salad spinner
- Jar with lid
- Fine mesh strainer
- Bottle for finished product
- Labels for gift-giving (click here for Susan’s own gift labels!)
- Wash the blossoms and run them through a salad spinner. This should remove any tiny insects/ dirt that may be present.
- Wash your bottles/ jars and let dry.
- Pack jar with blossoms loosely.
- Heat vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until hot but not boiling, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Pour hot vinegar over blossoms in jar, screw on lid.
- Store in a cool, dark place until desired flavor intensity is reached, 1 to 2 weeks.
- Strain out blossoms and store vinegar in a sterilized glass container.
- For ideas and recipes for how to use your chive blossom vinegar, click here!